KCCG Is Hiring!
Community Gardens Assistant (Americorps)
Kansas City Community Gardens, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, has an opening for a Community Gardens Assistant (AmeriCorps). KCCG has assisted low-income persons and community organizations in the metropolitan area to produce food from garden plots located in backyards, vacant lots, and at community sites for over 35 years. We provide low-cost garden supplies, education and technical assistance to more than 2,300 home gardeners, 200 schools, and 250 community groups. Our Giving Grove program helps over 100 community sites plant, maintain and harvest from orchards to address food insecurity in our community. KCCG is also home to the Beanstalk Children’s Garden, a unique field trip destination for kids of all ages to see, touch, smell and taste food right from the garden.
Job Description: Community Garden Assistant (AmeriCorps)
The Community Garden Assistant will work with all of our programs to help promote and expand gardening as a way to provide low-cost, healthy food for families and community members. The Garden Assistant will be involved in a wide range of activities, including the activities below:
• Assist in the front office as members come to purchase seeds, plants and other gardening resources.
• Assist with the Schoolyard Gardens program, visiting local schools to help with garden planning, raised bed construction, planting and maintaining the garden with students.
• Assist with the Community Partner Gardens program, conducting site visits, packing seed and plant orders, and helping organize community work days.
• Assist with the Giving Grove program, helping plant fruit trees and berry bushes and working to increase community engagement at each of the sites.
• Assist with greenhouse activities, including sowing seeds for transplants, thinning, watering and labeling.
• Assist with community outreach efforts, including garden skills workshops, presentations at community sites and the distribution of outreach materials.
• Assist with the Beanstalk Children’s Garden, including planting and maintaining the garden and guiding student tours.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Interest in helping low-income people benefit from production of food from gardens
• Interest in vegetable gardening
• Ability to organize and motivate people
• Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently
• Educational experience (teaching/training at some level)
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and ability to provide proof of vehicle insurance
This is an AmeriCorps position provided in conjunction with Missouri River Communities Network. Therefore, the following stipulations apply:
• If offered this position, applicant must complete an online eGrants "My AmeriCorps" application before July 15, 2017.
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma (or 17 and working on a GED). There is no upper age limit.
• Applicant must complete 1,750 hours of service, which is approximately 32 hours a week, including some evening and Saturday hours, for 12 months. Position starts August 1, 2017 and ends July 31, 2018. AmeriCorps members are allowed (with permission) to hold another job.
• Applicant must be able to attend five days of training in Columbia, Missouri on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 through Friday, August 4, 2017.
• Applicant must pass the FBI criminal Background Check and the National Sexual Offender Registry.
In return, AmeriCorps will provide:
• A "living allowance" of $12,530 for the year, paid in monthly increments (taxable income)
• An "education award" of $5,730 upon successfully completing the required hours
• ACA Health Care during the one year of service
• Eligibility for subsidized child care
• Eligibility for US Government Student Loan Forbearance
Send a cover letter and resume to:
MaryAnna Henggeler, Schoolyard Gardens Coordinator
maryanna [at] kccg.org