KCCG is Hiring!
Beanstalk Children’s Garden Summer Assistant
Kansas City Community Gardens, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, has three openings for Beanstalk Children’s Garden Summer Assistants. KCCG assists low-income persons and community organizations in the metropolitan area to produce food from garden plots located in backyards, vacant lots, and at community sites. The Beanstalk Garden is a field trip destination for school children, homeschool groups and families around the metro area. Visitors to the Beanstalk learn about how plants grow, are able to harvest and eat whatever produce is in season, and have the opportunity to explore a variety of different curiosity plants throughout the garden.
To learn more about the Beanstalk Children's Garden, visit our page.
Job Title: Beanstalk Children’s Garden Summer Assistant
The Beanstalk Summer Assistants will work alongside the Garden Assistant and the Beanstalk Education Coordinator to maintain the Beanstalk Garden and provide visiting groups an educational and fun experience.
• General garden maintenance as required by the season. This includes bed preparation, planting, weeding, mulching, watering, pruning and general garden cleanup.
• Give tours of the Beanstalk Garden to groups of children, teaching them about the plants, how they grow, providing samples for tasting, answering questions and general education.
• Assist with special events
• Misc. jobs as required
• An interest in working with children, especially urban core children.
• A basic knowledge of gardening and the willingness to learn.
• The ability to work in hot weather and do moderate lifting.
• 20 hours per week from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Hours may vary slightly.
• Duration of position: Early May through mid-August with some flexibility to extend the season to October.
Send a cover letter and resume to:
Lois Hutchins – Beanstalk Garden Coordinator
lois [at] kccg.org
Kansas City Community Gardens is located at:
Kansas City, MO 64132