KCCG is hiring - Family Gardens Assistant (AmeriCorps)
See job descriptions below.
Family Gardens Assistant (AmeriCorps)
Kansas City Community Gardens, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, has an opening for a Family Gardens Assistant (AmeriCorps). KCCG has assisted low-income persons and community organizations in the metropolitan area to produce food from garden plots located in backyards, vacant lots, and at community sites for over 35 years. Kansas City Community Gardens is one of the few community gardening organizations in the country offering services to families gardening at home.
Position Description: The Family Gardens Assistant will serve with the KCCG staff to assist individuals and families with having successful vegetable gardens located at homes or at rental plot sites. The Self Help Gardening program at KCCG supports low-income families through low cost seeds and plants, garden tilling, garden rental space, education, and garden trouble shooting support. KCCG is an income based membership organization. The Family Gardens Assistant will support individuals and families in successfully growing vegetable gardens by serving as a resource in the front office, signing people up for memberships, answering gardening questions, restocking supplies and seeds, and connecting people to rental plots.
- Support and assist existing Home Gardens
- Serve in the front office, answering phone calls, signing up new members, ringing up purchases, restocking seeds and supplies as needed
- Build relationships with current gardeners to better understand and support KCCG’s mission
- Assist staff with conducting garden site visits and providing technical assistance to ensure home gardeners have the support needed for a successful garden
- Help gardeners create planting plans and understand best practices for gardening
Assist with garden construction
- Assist KCCG staff with educational and technical workshops
- Work with KCCG staff to connect family gardeners with the resources needed to be successful
- Attend KCCG events and assist with outreach as needed
- Develop helpful garden resource guides to provide to family gardeners
- Lead new garden meetings, pass out keys to rental plots
- Organize events at the different community rental plots to increase community engagement
Collect data and provide general program assistance
- Collect and enter program data as required, especially related to memberships
- Make calls/email individuals about rental plots, fruit orders, general questions
- Help at the KCCG front office customer service and in the greenhouse as needed
- Assist with seed packaging days
- Create and update KCCG website resources as needed
Perform other duties as assigned.
• Interest and experience in helping low-income families gain access to healthy food
• Knowledge of vegetable gardening
• Excellent customer service, willingness to engage with community gardeners and build relationships
• Community organizing and engagement experience
• Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
• Skilled in record keeping and well-organized
• Reliable transportation - valid driver’s license and ability to provide proof of vehicle insurance
This is an AmeriCorps position provided in conjunction with Missouri River Communities Network. Therefore, the following stipulations apply:
• If offered this position, applicant must complete an online eGrants "My AmeriCorps" application before July 15, 2019.
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma (or 17 and working on a GED). There is no upper age limit.
• Applicant must complete 1,720 hours of service, which is approximately 32 hours a week, including some evening and Saturday hours, for 12 months. Position starts on or around August 5, 2019 and ends July 31, 2020. AmeriCorps members are allowed (with permission) to hold another job.
• Applicant must be able to attend five days of training in Columbia, Missouri, tentatively scheduled for Monday, August 5, 2019 through Friday, August 9, 2019.
• Applicant must pass the FBI criminal Background Check and the National Sexual Offender Registry.
• Attendance is expected at quarterly Missouri River Communities Network- Healthy Food AmeriCorps meetings with locations in Kansas City and Columbia, MO.
In return, AmeriCorps will provide:
• A "living allowance" of $13,732 for the year, paid in monthly increments (taxable income)
• An "education award" of $6,095 upon successfully completing the required 1,720 hours
• Monthly reimbursement up to $175 for ACA health insurance costs during the one year of service
• Eligibility for subsidized child care and SNAP benefits
• Eligibility for US Government Student Loan Forbearance
Send a cover letter and resume to: Ben Sharda
Kansas City Community Gardens is located at:
Kansas City, MO 64132