KCCG is hiring the following position:
Beanstalk Children’s Garden Seasonal Assistant
Kansas City Community Gardens, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, has two openings for Beanstalk Children’s Garden Assistants. KCCG empowers and inspires low-income households, community groups and schools in the Kansas City metropolitan area to grow their own vegetables and fruits. The Beanstalk Children’s Garden is a field trip destination for school children, summer day camps, homeschool groups and families around the metro area. Visitors to the Beanstalk learn about nutrition and how food plants grow. They also have opportunity to taste test whatever produce is in season and to explore a variety of different curiosity plants throughout the garden.
Members of historically underrepresented or oppressed groups are encouraged to apply. KCCG believes diversity and inclusion strengthen our communities and workplaces. KCCG does not discriminate based on race, gender identity, religion, age, ethnicity, disability, military status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status or citizenship status.
Job Title: Beanstalk Children’s Garden Seasonal Assistant
Job description: (part-time 20 hours/week – seasonal temporary)
The Beanstalk Summer Assistants will work alongside the Garden Assistant and the Beanstalk Children’s Garden Coordinator to maintain the Beanstalk Garden and provide visiting groups an educational and fun experience.
Reports to: Beanstalk Children’s Garden Coordinator
- Give tours of the Beanstalk Garden to groups of children, teaching them about the plants, how they grow, providing samples for tasting, answering questions and general education.
- General garden maintenance as required by the season. This includes bed preparation, planting, weeding, mulching, watering, pruning and general garden cleanup.
- Assist with special events
- Misc. jobs as required
- An interest and/or experience in working with children, especially urban core children.
- A basic knowledge of gardening and the willingness to learn.
- The ability to work in hot weather and do moderate lifting.
Hours and Pay:
- 20 hours per week from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (flexible) Monday – Friday. May include some afternoons and Saturdays. Hours may vary slightly.
- Duration of position: Mid-May through mid-October.
- Wage rate: $9.50 to $10.00 per hour based on experience
Send a cover letter and resume via email by Feb 22 to:
Lois Hutchins, Beanstalk Children’s Garden Coordinator
Kansas City Community Gardens is located at:
Kansas City, MO 64132