Sweet potatoes are a favorite among children and adults alike for their versatility. They can be enjoyed in a pie topped with whipped cream, or eaten as a savory side. I’ve found that many children enjoy eating sweet potato fries, especially when they can dip them in ketchup!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Coarse salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch thin strips. Mix the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper together in a large bowl and toss with the potatoes until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet. Spread the potatoes in a single layer.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the fries once or twice during the baking process.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven once the edges begin to brown and the fries become crispy. Sprinkle with coarse salt right when they come out of the oven and mix the fries.
For a more unique flavor, replace the garlic powder and paprika with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and an eighth of a teaspoon of cumin.
Allow the fries to cool down on the baking sheet. Serve the fries with ketchup, or your students’ dipping sauce of choice, and enjoy!