Beanstalk Children's Garden
Check back next Spring for 2018 schedule!
The mission of the Leanna Flandermeyer Beanstalk Children’s Garden is to inspire young people to make healthy food choices as they see, smell, touch, and taste growing plants.
The Leanna Flandermeyer Beanstalk Children’s Garden officially opened on June 21, 2005. It was named to honor Leanna Kay Flandermeyer, the primary advocate and driving force behind the creation of the garden. Leanna served on the KCCG Board of Directors, the Advisory Board of Directors, and the Beanstalk committee for over ten years. Her many hours of research, promotion, recruitment of volunteers, and fundraising coupled with her countless hours of physical work in the garden made the Beanstalk what it is today. Leanna also started the Fall Family Festival, a free garden extravaganza that serves the Kansas City community each year.
- Open from mid-June to mid-October.
- Monday-Friday 9 AM to 5 PM
- Saturday 9 AM to 12 PM
(self-guided tours only)
- Closed Sunday
- Garden paths are paved and fully wheelchair accessible.
- Guidebook is available for self-guided tours.
- All plants are labeled with names and information.
- Picnic tables are available with reservation.
- The Beanstalk is an approved field trip site for Girl Scouts to complete badge requirements.
- Homeschool groups may call or email for special tours and educational opportunities.
- Donations are accepted.
The Beanstalk Garden Staff
Beanstalk Garden Coordinator
Favorite vegetable? Sungold cherry tomato
Favorite garden? Grain Garden
Favorite plant to show kids in the garden? Sensitive Plant, because it’s like magic.
Greenhouse and Garden Assistant
Favorite vegetable? Lunchbox peppers
Favorite garden? Water Garden
Favorite plant to show kids in the garden? Mulberry tree, because it’s ripe early, it tastes good, and produces an abundance of fruit.
Beanstalk Garden Assistant, AmeriCorps
Favorite vegetable? Swiss Chard
Favorite garden? Vegetable Garden
Favorite plant to show kids in the garden? Toothache plant, because I love seeing the surprise on kids’ faces when their mouths go numb.
What's in the Beanstalk Garden?
Sections of the Beanstalk:
- The Vegetable Garden is filled with colorful plants that inspire children to make healthy food choices.
- The Fruit Garden is bursting with both common and uncommon berry bushes and fruit trees.
- The Herb Garden features different types of herbs used in cooking, fragrances, and medicines.
- The Seed and Grain Garden contains seed and grain plants such as corn, oats, soybeans, peanuts and popcorn.
- The Curiosity Garden is an exciting place for children to experience unusual plants like the sensitive plant.
- The Water Garden is home to fish, frogs, and water plants such as papyrus, water lilies and cattails.
Online Seed Store
KCCG sells seeds for many of the vegetables, flowers, and herbs in the Beanstalk Children's Garden!
If you want to start your own children's garden, check out these easy-to-grow and fun seed varieties at
Fall Family Festival
The Beanstalk Children's Garden hosts a Fall Family Festival every September that features fun and games for family gardeners!
Check back for details for the 2018 Fall Family Festival.