The tomatoes and peppers in my garden are ripening quickly these days which is always a sign to me that the back to school season is upon us! Today’s post will discuss steps to take to get your school garden ‘back to school ready.’
- First, it’s time to renew your enrollment form. You should have a link to the enrollment form in your inbox. Updating this information helps us keep your account up to date and active.
- The plant and seed order form is live! Use the SYG resources page to print out a fall* planting planning sheet and start mapping out your garden veggies.
*little known fact – the term “fall” gardening season is misleading. In KC, you need to plant your “fall” garden in late summer (late July to early September) if you want to get a fall harvest (late September through mid-November). Waiting to plant until the fall will be too late to get a harvest before temps turn cold!
- When you’re back at school, check on the garden. What needs to happen before your students can plant the garden?
- Clear weeds out of the beds – Use this handy “How to Clean Out a Weedy Garden” sheet pictured below
- Locate your hose and water key
- Make a planting plan & order supplies from KCCG
- Connect with your SYG coordinator. We love hearing about your plans & goals for the garden and love to support you as you prepare for a new school year and new season in the garden.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the last few minutes of summer. We strongly recommend you enjoy a bowl of this Panzanella salad as it’s bursting with the flavors of summer- tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and sweet peppers!