Winter months and cold temperatures provide a perfect time for gardens to rest and our soil, with all the wonderful little microbes living within, to rejuvenate. This rest period is crucial and truly something to be thankful for as it readies the garden for the next round of seeds and seedlings you’ll plant in the spring.
If you and your students are missing the garden though, consider these garden themed activities that can be done indoors on a cold snowy day!
- Practice Gratitude with this garden activity, A Thank You Letter to the Garden (scroll to page 2 for activity)
- Read Garden Themed Books (this list is suitable for PreK and elementary students)
- Check out this list of garden themed books compiled by Cornell College of Agriculture & Life Sciences intended for middle and high school students
- Practice stretching and breathing with this Garden Themed Yoga activity (scroll to page 2 for activity)
- Reflect on the previous season with this Garden Reflection activity
While I highly recommend all of the above if you’re feeling motivated, please remember to take time to rest your body and mind too. Spring will be here before we know it and there will be plenty of soil to turn, seeds to plant and veggies to harvest!