SYG Varieties: Astro Arugula
Planting Instructions: Plant seeds ⅛ inch deep in rows across raised bed. Thin plants to stand 8-12” apart.
- 4×12 beds (K-12) need 2 seed packets to fill raised bed
- 3×9 beds (preschool) need 1 seed packet to fill raised bed
Plant to Harvest Time Frame: 5 weeks
- Plant: mid-March to early April; August 1-August 25th
- Harvest: Starting 3-5 weeks after planting; Continually until plants bolt
Harvest: Arugula is ready to be harvested about 35- 40 days after planting. Arugula tastes best when picked young. Allow arugula plants to continue to grow to about 4” and then harvest for optimal flavor.. Arugula will go to seed (bolt) when the temperatures get warm.
Tips and Tricks: Begin harvesting arugula as soon as sprouts appear for subtly spicy microgreens.
Health Facts: Arugula has a lot of Calcium and Vitamin A. It also contains iron, which helps keep blood healthy. The vitamin C in arugula keeps immune systems strong. There’s also potassium in arugula which helps keep nerves functioning well in the body.
Recipe: This green adds a peppery flavor to dishes. Arugula can be added to salads, sandwiches, pasta, or even on top of pizza! The simple dish below highlights the bright flavor of arugula and only requires 5 ingredients!
Arugula Salad with Parmesan, Lemon & Olive Oil (Recipe by GimmeSomeOven)
- 2 big handfuls of Arugula, washed
- 2 tbsp. of Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- Fresh Cracked Pepper to Taste
- Mix together everything except the arugula in a bowl, then add in the arugula and toss to combine.